21 March 2006

Assault/Crooked Tongues Interview

This is my second exclusive interview for this site - and it is a fresh one. It's with the brother from a different mother behind the biggest sneaker website in the world and the freshest sneaker print making brand. Thanks again Tim.


When was Assault established and why did you decide to start a unique brand like this?
Assault was established in 2004, with an aim to relax and take things slow, letting them naturally progress. At the time I'd just come back from working at a design agency in Tokyo and was taking some time off, so I decided to play around with some ideas, and ended up doing some prints in very small quantities to give to friends. They were quite popular so I printed up more and put them for sale. They sold out pretty quick so I did the 'United Colours of Dunk' print in a larger quantity, and it all grew from there!

All of your prints and most of your badges are sneakers - are you a "sneaker pimp"?
Totally! I've been collecting to some degree for 10+ years now. I had a record store pre-2000 and we'd been selling import and vintage sneakers in there too. Unfortunately the store had to close, but I took the sneaker element and created Crooked Tongues. It was back then that I developed more of a hardcore interest in buying sneakers, and I suppose it's this that has influenced the heavily sneaker-based element of the Assault brand right now.

Did you ever think that Crooked Tongues would get so much recognition?
When I started the site, there were big plans... I wanted to create the best sneaker store in the UK, with the best resources, that would act as a base for the UK sneaker community to unite and grow. I left the company about a year into the planning and setup, just before the official launch. My initial concepts and plans were followed quite closely, and when I was asked to come back in 2004, the site had developed into the worldwide giant that you know today. It was the first site of its type in the world and I think that helped it to gain the position it now holds.

Can we be expecting an Assault clothing line in the near future?
It's something that's in the pipeline for sure. We'll be producing some tees for the summer, and maybe some sweats and accessories after that. I don't really think that the brand lends itself to a full-blown clothing label, but we will definately try to cater for those sneaker-hungry apparel consumers out there!

Top 5 albums?
Wow, that's a hard one... can I have a top 100 instead?!?! Well, off the top of my head, 5 of my favourites on my iPod right now are:
Atban Klann 'Grassroots'
Tha Alkaholiks '21 & Over'
King Giddra 'Sora Kara No Chikara'
Beatnuts 'Intoxicated Demons'
The Pharcyde 'Bizarre Ride 2 The Pharcyde'

Top 5 artists?
That's a hard one too! OK another quick list off the top of my head:
Parra
Dalek
Shepard Fairey
Geoff McFetridge
Cody Hudson

What's next for Assault?
We're working on some more prints right now, a couple of collabs, and the apparel as mentioned earlier. There's a lot more planned, but we're taking it slow for now and enjoying things, not taking life too seriously! But watch out for some big things later in the year!
Thanks Tim - Anyone you would like to thank?
Just anyone that's supported us - friends, websites (especially the blogs), stores that stock our product, our customers, and all the press who have featured us in the past - we couldn't get anywhere if people didn't support us, so we're very appreciative of everything

Thanks Tim - Anyone you would like to thank?
Just anyone that's supported us - friends, websites (especially the blogs), stores that stock our product, our customers, and all the press who have featured us in the past - we couldn't get anywhere if people didn't support us, so we're very appreciative of everything




4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://mwmhopad.com/bttc/srjl.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://imfnvayt.com/qkts/fmua.html]Cool site[/url]

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://mwmhopad.com/bttc/srjl.html | http://subrfkho.com/ezbv/ajrx.html

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.carranca.com

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home